Distilleries in the eclipse viewing area are hosting viewing parties and releasing special “Eclipse Edition” spirits to commemorate the total eclipse of the sun on August 21. For example, in Kentucky, people are clamoring to pick up Total Eclipse Moonshine, a 100 proof spirit from Case Jones Distillery. But come on: Store-bought moonshine just isn’t as authentic as the home-distilled stuff (even if that home-distilled stuff was obviously legally distilled by a person with a permit, of course).
Fiery Solar Eclipse Moonshine Recipe
Courtesy of chilipeppermadness.com, this recipe incorporates golden Habanero peppers to bring the fire and add a touch of sunny color.
- 2 – 3 cups unflavored moonshine
- 3 yellow Habanero peppers
- Slice peppers in half lengthwise and put in large mason jar.
- Add moonshine and seal.
- Shake well. Then store in a dark, cool place for at least 4 hours. The longer you let the peppers soak, the spicier it will be. You may want to store it for a few days—if you seal it today, it will be nice and fiery for Monday’s eclipse.
- Strain the moonshine to remove the peppers and refrigerate for several hours.
Creamsicle Solar Eclipse Moonshine Smoothie Recipe
If you’re later on in the eclipse path, like Georgia or South Carolina, you might want something cooler to sip in the afternoon. This recipe was adapted from learntomoonshine.com’s Dreamsicle Moonshine Drink Recipe.
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 gallon orange juice
- ½ cup powdered French Vanilla coffee creamer
- 4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- About 750ml of your favorite moonshine
- Add orange juice, vanilla extract, sugar, and coffee creamer to a pot.
- Bring to a boil while stirring.
- Boil for 3 minutes.
- Let cool, add moonshine, and bottle in mason jars.
- Store in a dark, cool place for several days.
- Several hours before serving, put the Creamsicle Solar Eclipse Moonshine in the freezer.
- Put it in the blender and add some ice. Blend until it reaches a “smoothie” consistency.
Blackout Eclipse Moonshine Recipe
This simple recipe is perfect for the moment the sun is totally obscured
- 1 bottle of stout or your favorite dark beer
- 2 oz Moonshine flavored with Prestige Black Currant Schnapps Essence
- Mix beer and moonshine.