Raschig Rings are an excellent distillation column filling due to their extremely high surface area and consistent, defined large void space. A benefit of using Raschig Rings as distillation column packing is that they are an inert type of packing so you don't have to worry about packing the column too tightly, which can cause choking.
- Made of inert ceramic material
- Each bag contains 1/2 L of Ceramic 6mmx6mm Raschig Rings
- For a 2" x 36" column, such as the Essential Extractor Pro Series II, use approximately 1.5 L of Raschig Rings.
- For a 3" column, such as the Essential Extractor PSII High Capacity, use approximately 5 L of Raschig Rings.
- Using Raschig Rings inside your stainless steel distillers column will not remove sulfur compounds, but you can use both Raschig Rings and copper mesh together. For more information, including how to pack your column with Raschig Rings, please read Distillation Column Packing 101.
- Our 6x6mm ceramic raschig rings have over 50% more surface area than the same volume of 1/2" ceramic saddles. Having a large surface area without reducing the void space too dramatically is extremely important in reflux distillation. Because of the large size and decreased surface area, 1/2" ceramic saddles are best used only in considerably larger diameter columns. As you can see by the picture here, 1/2" ceramic saddles are considerably larger than 6mm Raschig Rings: